Vape News -
by Jimmy Hafrey

Why a Toddler’s Health Scare Has Ecig Critics Fuming

A quick scan of today’s headlines shows that the ecig critics are raging after a Birmingham toddler picked up an electronic cigarette refill cartridge and put it in her mouth. The two-year old girl started vomiting and was rushed to Good Hope Hospital for treatment. After doctors monitored her condition for six hours, she was released with a clean bill of health.

Birmingham physicians said that it was unclear if the child actually ingested any of the e-liquid inside the cartridge. Her mother quickly realized she had the refill cartridge in her mouth and intervened. While this little girl was very fortunate to have no major injuries from the incident, it’s a timely reminder to all vapers. It’s absolutely imperative to keep all e-cig equipment out of the reach of children. Even used cartridges can have small amounts of nicotine remaining inside and it could be a major threat if ingested by a child or a pet.

Ecig critics have really latched onto this story and are pushing it to argue once again that ecigs are too dangerous and need to be regulated or even banned. In reality, tobacco cigarettes are even more dangerous, plus you have the added risk of lighters and matches that are usually nearby. But no one is worried about toddlers and cigarettes. Instead, people want to focus on ecigs and demonize vaping just because of one unfortunate accident.

Earlier this year, the Centers for Disease Control reported a growing number of calls to poison control with concerns related to e-liquid. However, the number of reported calls is still minor when compared to calls related to household cleaners and even toothpaste. However, the CDC and other regulatory agencies will use even a slight increase in accidents to push their agenda to ban electronic cigarettes and that is exactly what is happening again after this UK toddler’s accident.

Physicians from Good Hope Hospital told the press that even a single drop of the highest concentration e-liquid could make a toddler very sick. While we can all sympathize with the little girl’s scary encounter, it’s important that stories like this stay in perspective. Accidents happen everyday, but this is not a valid reason to discount all the good that ecigs are doing for today’s smokers. Ecigs are saving far more lives than anyone ever imagined and while no one wants to see a toddler get sick from handling an ecig refill, it’s really a minor incident compared to the bigger picture.

Ultimately, this is a timely reminder that we must all practice caution with our electronic cigarettes. If you have children or pets in your home, you can’t afford to take any risks. Keep your ecig gear put away and out of reach. With a little common sense, these accidents can be prevented.

Do you think the media is overreacting to the toddler’s accident?

The post Why a Toddler’s Health Scare Has Ecig Critics Fuming appeared first on ChurnMag.


Tags